Logo international

Foire aux questions (FAQ)

What are the admission application deadlines?
The CSC Nouvelon accepts applications for the school year starting in September until June 15 of the year. The application deadline for the second term is November 15.
What is your Board’s school year calendar?
Please click here to view our school year calendar.
In which school will I be placed?

The CSC Nouvelon will make every effort to place you in a neighbourhood school that is located as close as possible to the home of your guardian or custodian. However, please be aware that it is not always possible to enroll a student in the neighbourhood school. In such case, the CSC Nouvelon reserves the right to determine which school the student will attend.

Where will I live during my studies?

International students can choose to live with a Canada Homestay Network host family. Homestay is the principal partner of the Conseil scolaire catholique Nouvelon.

Can I make my own lodging arrangements?

Yes, you can make your own lodging arrangements for the duration of the program. However, your host family will need to meet the following conditions:

  1. Custodians of international students must be at least 21 years of age.
  2. Custodians must either be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada. This is a Citizenship and Immigration Canada requirement.
  3. Custodians are responsible for filling out and submitting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Custodianship Declaration.
  4. Applications for independent lodging arrangements must be approved by the CSC Nouvelon.

How long does the program last?

International students may remain in an educational program until they reach 19 years of age. Students may apply for admission to their chosen program for either a year (10 school months) or a term (5 months). Student wishing to continue their studies in one of our programs must apply for the following year and renew their study permit.

How do I obtain a study permit?

Study permits are issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada and by Canadian embassies and consulates throughout the world. The initial application for a study permit must be made outside Canada (usually in the student’s home country). The residence visa only allows students to enroll in a program that lasts 6 months or less. For more information, click here.

Can I pursue my education at a university once I earn my secondary school diploma?

Yes, as long as you completed the required courses and your grades meet the university’s admission requirements. In some cases, international students enrolled in a secondary school program in Canada for at least four years will not need to pass a college or university entrance examination.

What will happen if I have health problems during my stay in Canada?

International students must apply for health insurance with our official provider, Sun Life Financial. For more information, click here.

When can I arrive in Canada?

Students should plan to arrive between one and two weeks prior to the start of classes to settle in with their host family, adapt to jet lag and get organized. They also need to check with the Welcome Office to see if an orientation session (a useful asset) will be held prior to the start of courses.

Can my family visit me during my stay in Canada?

Yes. Parents are welcome to visit their children during their studies in Sudbury. We do recommend that parents wait a few months to enable their child to adapt to the new environment and routine. Visiting family members must make their own lodging arrangements.

Can I work for pay or volunteer during my studies in Canada?

As a rule, international secondary school students are not authorized to work for pay or to volunteer during their study stay in Canada. However, some students enrolled in post-secondary programs can apply for a work permit.

If I leave Canada during my stay, can I return?

Yes, as long as the student’s passport and study permit are valid and have not expired during the absence from Canada.